Thank you for your interest in graduate music study at the Hugh Hodgson School of Music. If, after reading the information below, you have questions about our application processes, please contact our Graduate Administrative Coordinator, Susan LeCroy, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (706) 542-2743.
Applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree in music from an institution accredited by the proper regional accrediting association, or, in the judgment of the School of Music Faculty, have equivalent competencies. Applicants should have attained a grade point average of 3.0 or better for all undergraduate work and achieved satisfactory scores on the degree-appropriate entrance examinations.
Your admissions application is reviewed jointly by the Graduate School and the Hugh Hodgson School of Music. The guidelines below indicate which materials get sent to each institution.
Important Dates for Fall 2014 Admissions:
December 15, 2013: Review of applications begins. If you are applying for an assistantship, or if your program requires pre-screening, you are urged to submit materials by this date. (Pre-screening information can be found by clicking on Graduate Auditions in the menu on the right-hand side of the page.) To make allowance for processing times at the Graduate School, you are encouraged to submit your application to the Graduate School by December 1.
April 15, 2014: Regular application deadline. This is a firm deadline for international applicants. Domestic applications for Fall 2014 can be accepted after this deadline only under unusual circumstances.
Other semesters: Applications for matriculation in the spring semester are due by the previous October 15 (international applicants) or November 15 (domestic applicants). Applications for summer matriculation are due by February 15 (international applicants) or April 1 (domestic applicants). Assistantships are considered on an annual cycle and therefore generally not available for students matriculating in the spring or summer.
Step 1: Apply to UGA's Graduate School using the online application (click here to open the application in a new window). This includes:
- The application fee. Domestic applicants = $75. International applicants = $100. Additional fees are due if applying for more than one degree. Former UGA graduate students returning within four terms of their last registration will pay a reduced rate of $25 for the application fee.
- One official transcript from each institution of higher education attended, except the University of Georgia. Electronic submission is preferred; but transcripts can also be sent in sealed envelopes.
- Official test scores submitted from the testing agency directly to the Graduate School.
GRE and MAT scores are considered together with all other submitted materials in evaluation of applicants. There is no minimum score on the GRE or MAT for admission to the Graduate School or the Hugh Hodgson School of Music.
- The GRE General Exam is required for admission to the MA, EdD, and PhD programs.
- Applicants to the MMEd and EdS programs must take either the GRE General Exam or the Miller Analogies Test.
- The GRE is recommended (but not required) for applicants to the MM and DMA programs. Applicants who do not submit GRE scores will not be eligible for funding opportunities provided by the Graduate School (these include the Presidential Fellowship, Graduate School Assistantships, and Out-of-state Tuition Waivers). GRE scores are not required for assistantships sponsored by the Hugh Hodgson School of Music.
- Georgia residency application (if appropriate).
- Additional materials required of international applicants.
- (Please see below for information regarding letters of recommendation.)
Step 2: Apply to the Hugh Hodgson School of Music (click here to open the application in a new window). This includes:
- Your statement of purpose, CV, and brief reflective essay.
- Any prescreening materials required by your program (check under "Graduate Auditions" in the menu on the right-hand side of the screen).
- Any supplemental materials required by your program (check under "Master's Degrees," "Education Specialist," or "Doctoral Degrees," as appropriate, in the menu on the right-hand side of the screen).
- The assistantship application (optional). If you wish to upload a supplemental statement regarding assistantship qualifications, you can do so. Please be sure that relevant experiences are included in your CV. If you are applying for an instructional assistantship, at least one letter of recommendation should refer to your abilities in the instructional area. An interview may be required for instructional assistantships.
- Three letters of recommendation. These can be solicited through the Graduate School or through the School of Music. We strongly prefer that you use the School of Music application for your letters.
- Your UGA ID number (a 9-digit number beginning 81). Because the Graduate School's applicant information portal is not currently online, your ID will be sent to you in an email from Susan LeCroy once the Graduate School has processed your Graduate School application.
- A $15 fee.
Step 3: Schedule an audition, if necessary. Information on scheduling can be found by clicking on "Graduate Auditions" in the menu on the right-hand side of this page. If your program has a pre-screening process, you will need to wait for an invitation to audition. It is strongly recommended that you contact your recruiting professor (the faculty member with whom you hope to study or the area chair for your intended major) directly once you have submitted both applications.