The Bachelor of Music in Music Education is designed to prepare students for a career in teaching grades K-12 in all areas-- general, choral, and instrumental-- or to continue study at the graduate level.
Completion of the Bachelor of Music in Music Education degree leads to P-12 certification in the State of Georgia, which shares reciprocity with other states. This degree is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM), and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). The degree includes completing education candidate requirements, music preparation coursework, and the edTPA portfolio review.
Applicants are required to audition for admission into this program.
Becoming a Music Education Major
Prospective students apply for the Music Education major at the end of their sophomore year. Admission requirements include:
- Completion of Area VI coursework.
- Passing grade on the piano proficiency examination.
- Submission of the Program Application Form to email@example.com.
- A GPA of 2.8 or higher maintained every semester until graduation.
- UGA Bulletin - Outlines BM in Music Education degree and university-wide requirements
- Franklin College Requirements - Music Education students are only required to fulfill the Franklin College Multicultural requirement.
- Instrumental: Sample Degree Plan Choral: Sample Degree Plan
- Field Experience and Clinical Practice Requirements
- Guidance For Teacher Candidates: Forms, Credentials
- Academic Advising - All Music Education majors, including double majors, are required to meet with a music advisor each semester.
- UGA Student Handbook - Essential information for all UGA students
- DegreeWorks - Our degree audit portal for enrolled students
- Athena - UGA portal for the university-wide application, current course listings, and class registration
- SAGE - Allows students and advisors to schedule appointments
- UGAMail - Official UGA email system
- eLC - UGA online learning management system