To enroll in music major coursework, students must initially be accepted to both the University of Georgia and the Hugh Hodgson School of Music (two separate admissions processes). The University primarily evaluates academic achievement, and the School of Music evaluates musical ability through the audition process.
Admitted music majors then follow a prescribed sequence of classes during their first year – the emphasis being applied study in their primary instrument, ensemble performance, and music theory.
Students pursuing a Bachelor of Music degree pursue final acceptance into their intended area around the end of the sophomore year, pending the successful completion of the intended major area's particular admission requirements. Please inquire within your intended major for specific details. Information regarding Class Piano and the exemption process can be found here. For further details, students should contact Dr. Grace Huang at email@example.com.
If you are a current UGA student, please inquire with a music advisor for more details about these opportunities.
Additional Resources for Undergraduates
- UGA Bulletin - The official University of Georgia resource for majors, minors, courses, and other academic information
- UGA Student Handbook - Essential information for all UGA students
- Franklin College - The official University of Georgia resource for Franklin College requirements
- Degree Works - Our degree audit portal for enrolled students
- Athena - UGA portal for the university-wide application, current course listings, and class registration
- SAGE - Allows students and advisors to schedule appointments
- UGAMail - Official UGA email system
- eLC - UGA online learning management system